Linden Hill United Methodist Cemetery was founded by English-speaking Methodists in 1842, who were located at The Second Street Methodist Episcopal Church on 2nd Street between Avenues C and D in Manhattan. It was then acquired by German-speaking Methodists in 1852, who were located at The First German Methodist Episcopal Mission Church on 2nd Street between Avenues B and C. We are a non-sectarian cemetery with a Methodist Heritage.
The First German Methodist Episcopal Church later moved to 48 St. Marks Place, Manhattan, where it remained until its closing on July 1, 1975. The Cemetery then became the property of the Bishop of NY and the Superintendents of the New York Annual Conference with churches in NY City. The Cemetery was incorporated in 1977.
In the early years of The Cemetery, as one entered through the main entrance at Woodward Ave. & Dekalb Ave., the ethnicity is reflected in the clusters of stones in different languages: German, Hungarian, Czechoslovakian, Italian, and French. The older stones designated the country of birth as well.
Today, Linden Hill Cemetery, as it is commonly known, still remains a non-sectarian Cemetery with a Methodist Heritage. The garden-type settings and the rolling hillsides are truly a wonder to the eye, as we are blessed with the New York City Skyline as our backdrop.
Regardless where one may be visiting their loved ones in the Cemetery, the peacefulness and serenity will take you back in time to those days of family, love and remembrances.